Are our podcasts helping you to pray?
On the St. Josemaria Institute Podcast we share weekly reflections by a priest of Opus Dei who, in the spirit of St. Josemaria Escriva, guide us in our daily life of prayer so that we can grow closer to God and become sowers of peace and joy in the world.
The podcasts aim to help you set apart time from your daily tasks to listen peacefully, to pray and to examine your life in the presence of Jesus Christ: to see what is going well, to see what needs to change, to give thanks, and to make resolutions.
St. Josemaria Escriva teaches us that:
“Our whole day can be a time for prayer — from night to morning and from morning to night. In fact, as Holy Scripture reminds us, even our sleep should be a prayer… But prayer, our life-giving nourishment, is not limited to one form alone. Our life of prayer should also be based on some moments that are dedicated exclusively to our conversation with God…
“This heart-to-heart dialogue with God is mental prayer, in which the whole soul takes part; intelligence, imagination, memory and will are all involved. It is a meditation that helps to give supernatural value to our poor human life, with all its normal, everyday occurrences. Thanks to these moments of meditation and to our vocal prayer and aspirations, we will be able to turn our whole day into a continuous praise of God… Just as people in love are always thinking about each other, we will be aware of God’s presence. And all our actions, down to the most insignificant, will be filled with spiritual effectiveness” (Christ is Passing By, no. 119).
TIPS FOR LISTENING TO THE PODCAST:
- Plan a time and place to listen to the meditation: home, commute, outdoors, etc.
- Listen on your own, with a small group, or with your spouse and/or children.
- Strive to keep an atmosphere of silence and recollection (avoid distractions).
- Keep a journal: Write down moments from the reflections that strike you, as well as the thoughts, inspirations and resolutions that arise from your prayer and reflection. (If you would like a guide to journaling, click to download our Meditation Journal Sheet.)
CARE FOR THE SICK AND HOMEBOUND:
Often, when we visit the sick or the homebound— family, friends, or neighbors—we are not sure what to do for them, how to comfort them, or even what to talk about. We know, however, that we want to show them our love and ask God to fill them with peace and joy. Here are a few tips that we hope can help:
- Begin by catching up on how they are doing and then, if they want, offer to pray with them: the Rosary or other vocal prayers.
- Pull out your smartphone and invite them to listen together to one of the podcasts from the St. Josemaria Institute. The reflections will help to turn your minds and hearts to God, to pray for each other, and to spend the quality time that you both want and need.
- You can rest assured that your visit together (45-60 minutes) will have helped to place them and all of their suffering into the merciful hands and providence of God.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
Did you know that listeners like you are helping to make these podcasts possible? Let us know that our podcasts are important to you by becoming a monthly supporter today: stjosemaria.org/give
Additional ways to support the podcast:
- Leave us a review on iTunes and SoundCloud. This will help us get the podcast in front of more listeners. Just click on iTunes or SoundCloud
- Share your comments and feedback with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share the podcasts with your family and friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to our mailing list and share our emails to your family and friends: stjosemaria.org/subscribe/