DAY OF RECOLLECTION | December 2022
A monthly Day of Recollection is a time set aside specifically for a Christian to seriously go deeper into his or her relationship with God. It is an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in prayer and conversation with God guided by meditation, spiritual reading, and an examination of conscience.
Following are a guide and resources from the St. Josemaria Institute to plan and make your own day of recollection for this month:
I. To begin, download the Guide for Making a Day of Recollection: (View/Download PDF)
II. Listen online or download the meditation; or, read the meditation transcript (View/Download PDF):
III. Take time for silent prayer and spiritual reading:
IV. Reflect on the examination of conscience questions for this month:
- For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God” (Rom 8:14). Do I ask the Holy Spirit to give me the confidence to call on God my Father?
- Do I endeavor to treat others well, to do my work as best I can, and to be grateful? When I notice my mistakes, do I ask God for pardon and then, with his help, begin again?
- In the Magnificat our Lady prays: “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” (Luke 1:46-47). Is Advent for me a time of joyful preparation for the coming of the Lord?
- At home, am I trying to create an atmosphere of expectation of Christmas? Do I make use of the nativity scene to remind others of the Christian meaning of these holidays?
- Do I give an example of generosity, mutual respect, order, and cheerfulness at home? Do I talk with my spouse about the upbringing of our children? Do I help my friends discover the greatness of marriage and family life?
Act of Contrition: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because of your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
V. Conclude your time of prayer:
- Make two or three concrete resolutions that you can give Our Lord for the month. Remember that the resolutions and themes from this time of prayer are meant to guide and accompany you throughout the month.
- You may also want to download and use our Monthly Planner to write your resolutions, prayer intentions, daily plan of prayer, and special dates for the month. Then, once a week during the month, perhaps on Sunday, review your notes and monthly planner to refresh and remind yourself of the prayerful fruits and inspirations from your time with God.
Image by Pietro Perugino via WikiArt