DAY OF RECOLLECTION | July 2022
A monthly Day of Recollection is a time set aside specifically for a Christian to seriously go deeper into his or her relationship with God. It is an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in prayer and conversation with God guided by meditation, spiritual reading, and an examination of conscience.
Following are a guide and resources from the St. Josemaria Institute to plan and make your own day of recollection for this month:
I. To begin, download the Guide for Making a Day of Recollection: (View/Download PDF)
II. Listen online or download the meditation; or, read the meditation transcript (View/Download PDF):
III. Take time for silent prayer and spiritual reading:
IV. Reflect on the examination of conscience questions for this month:
- Do I have a plan of life, that is, a schedule for my day that includes certain moments especially dedicated to time with God? More specifically, do I look for Jesus Christ every day, in the Bread and the Word: in the Eucharist and in prayer?
- Do I plan my day in a Christian way? Do I foresee when I am going to read the Gospel, pray the Rosary, and make an examination of conscience?
- Do I choose vacation sites that are suitable for a Christian and for family life? On my days off do I make sure to schedule time for God? Do I teach members of my family to find out, in advance, the time and place of Mass? Do I use these occasions to enkindle the faith of other Christians who out of comfort or forgetfulness seem not to plan on attending Sunday Mass?
- Do I value spiritual direction as a kind of school for knowing and dealing better with Jesus Christ? Do I make use of it regularly?
Act of Contrition: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because of your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
V. Conclude your time of prayer:
- Make two or three concrete resolutions that you can give Our Lord for the month. Remember that the resolutions and themes from this time of prayer are meant to guide and accompany you throughout the month.
- You may also want to download and use our Monthly Planner to write your resolutions, prayer intentions, daily plan of prayer, and special dates for the month. Then, once a week during the month, perhaps on Sunday, review your notes and monthly planner to refresh and remind yourself of the prayerful fruits and inspirations from your time with God.