DAY OF RECOLLECTION | June 2022
A monthly Day of Recollection is a time set aside specifically for a Christian to seriously go deeper into his or her relationship with God. It is an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in prayer and conversation with God guided by meditation, spiritual reading, and an examination of conscience.
Following are a guide and resources from the St. Josemaria Institute to plan and make your own day of recollection for this month:
I. To begin, download the Guide for Making a Day of Recollection: (View/Download PDF)
II. Listen online or download the meditation; or, read the meditation transcript (View/Download PDF):
III. Take time for silent prayer and spiritual reading:
- Pray the Holy Rosary
- Read and reflect on Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:3-13 or Romans 8:8-17
- Recommended Articles:
IV. Reflect on the examination of conscience questions for this month:
- Do I believe that in Baptism God the Father has taken possession of my life, incorporating me into the life of his Son Jesus Christ, sending me the Holy Spirit? Each morning, do I offer my life to God?
- Do I realize that the Christian life obliges me to have a continuous dialogue with the Triune God? And that it is the Holy Spirit that leads me to the joy of that meeting?
- “All who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God” (Rom 8:14). Is it clear to me that the effectiveness of my struggle comes mainly from letting the Holy Spirit act in my soul? Do I pray for light to see what God is asking of me at each moment and for the strength to carry it out?
- “Charity consists not so much in giving as in understanding” (The Way, no. 463). Often the gift family members appreciate most is not something material, but the time and attention that we could give to them. Do I listen with real interest or do I show indifference? Do I look for the best way and the right moment to speak to them? Do I find time to deal with each family member one to one?
- In this month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus am I asking Our Lord to give me a good heart that is capable of compassion for the sorrows of others? Do I go to the Immaculate Heart of Mary so that she may lead me to the Most Sacred and Merciful Heart of Jesus?
Act of Contrition: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because of your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
V. Conclude your time of prayer:
- Make two or three concrete resolutions that you can give Our Lord for the month. Remember that the resolutions and themes from this time of prayer are meant to guide and accompany you throughout the month.
- You may also want to download and use our Monthly Planner to write your resolutions, prayer intentions, daily plan of prayer, and special dates for the month. Then, once a week during the month, perhaps on Sunday, review your notes and monthly planner to refresh and remind yourself of the prayerful fruits and inspirations from your time with God.