In the Footsteps of Christ | Lenten Devotional
As we accompany Jesus along his path of sorrow and prepare to rejoice with him in the glory of the resurrection on Easter Sunday, we are provided the opportunity to look inward and assess what needs to change so that we can more closely align our heart with the heart of Christ.
St. Josemaria Escriva reminds us: “We have to learn from him, from Jesus who is our only model. If you want to go forward without stumbling or wandering off the path, then all you have to do is walk the road he walked, placing your feet in his footprints and entering into his humble and patient Heart” (Friends of God, no. 128).
Available as a free digital download in our online shop, In the Footsteps of Christ Lenten Devotional is a reflection guide and companion to making a weekly holy hour in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and praying the Stations of the Cross. For each week of Lent, you will find:
- An excerpt from In the Footsteps of Christ, a homily given by St. Josemaria Escriva.
- A quote and reflection questions inspired by six prominent figures who Jesus encountered along the path to Calvary.
- A podcast-meditation reflecting on The Way of the Cross by St. Josemaria Escriva. The podcast for each week will be linked below, or listen via any podcast app on your mobile device.
We pray that this Lenten companion will help you and many others to come to know Jesus Christ more intimately, to love him more truly, and to walk faithfully in his footsteps.
On the St. Josemaria Institute Podcast, we share weekly reflections by priests of Opus Dei that, in the spirit of St. Josemaria Escriva, guide us in our daily life of prayer so that we can grow closer to God and become sowers of peace and joy in the world.
Listed below are the featured podcasts that correspond with the In the Footsteps of Christ devotional:
- Ash Wednesday: Lent: A Time for Conversion
- First Sunday of Lent: The Way of the Cross: A Way Loved by the Church
- Second Sunday of Lent: The Way of the Cross: Christ’s Falls
- Third Sunday of Lent: The Way of the Cross: Christ’s Sorrows
- Fourth Sunday of Lent: The Way of the Cross: Discipleship
- Fifth Sunday of Lent: The Way of the Cross in Our Daily Lives
Thank you for allowing us to accompany your time of prayer and reflection this Lenten season!
For more free resources and materials, go to our Spiritual Toolkit for Lent.