A Spiritual Toolkit for Devotion to St. Joseph
This Spiritual Toolkit has been curated by the St. Josemaria Institute to celebrate and aid the devotion to St. Joseph during the Year of Saint Joseph, December 8, 2020 to December 8, 2021.
Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Decree Quemadmodum Deus, with which Bl. Pius IX declared St. Joseph the Patron of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis has proclaimed that:
“…a special Year of Saint Joseph will be celebrated, in which all faithful, after his example, may daily reinforce their own life of faith in complete fulfillment of God’s will. All the faithful will thus have the opportunity to commit themselves, with prayer and good works, to obtain, with the help of St Joseph, head of the heavenly Family of Nazareth, comfort and relief from the serious human and social tribulations that besiege the contemporary world today.”
In the apostolic letter, Patris Corde (“With a Father’s Heart”), the Holy Father explains that “each of us can discover in Saint Joseph—the man who goes unnoticed, a daily, discreet and hidden presence—an intercessor, a support and a guide… The greatness of Saint Joseph is that he was the spouse of Mary and the father of Jesus. In this way, he placed himself… ‘at the service of the entire plan of salvation.’”
PRAYERS & DEVOTIONS
- Gift of Special Indulgences on the Occasion of the Year of Saint Joseph | Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary
- A Spiritual Retreat on St. Joseph, Father & Protector | St. Josemaria Institute
- Year of St. Joseph – Prayers, resources, pilgrimage, etc. | Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina
- Prayer to St. Joseph after the Holy Rosary | USCCB
- “Patris Corde” | Apostolic Letter, Pope Francis
- In St. Joseph’s Workshop | A Homily by St. Josemaria Escriva
- Saint Josemaria and the Role of Saint Joseph in Christian Life
- The Love that Converts Work into Prayer | On the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker
- Guardian of the Redeemer (Redemptoris Custos) | Apostolic Exhortation of Pope St. John Paul II
- PODCAST | St. Joseph: The Greatest Male Saint Who Ever Lived
- PODCAST | St. Joseph: Model of Fidelity
- St Josemaria: Devotion to St Joseph
- St Josemaria Escriva explains how St Joseph helps us to know Jesus Christ
- The founder of Opus Dei talks about devotion to our Lady and St Joseph in the life of a priest
QUOTES FROM ST. JOSEMARIA ON ST. JOSEPH
“Saint Joseph, our Father and Lord: most chaste, most pure. You were found worthy to carry the Child Jesus in your arms, to wash him, to hug him. Teach us to get to know God, and to be pure, worthy of being other Christs. And help us to do and to teach, as Christ did. Help us to open up the divine paths of the earth, which are both hidden and bright; and help us to show them to mankind, telling our fellow men that their lives on earth can have an extraordinary and constant supernatural effectiveness” (The Forge, no. 553).
“A master of interior life, a worker deeply involved in his job, God’s servant in continual contact with Jesus: that is Joseph. Ite ad Ioseph. With St Joseph, the Christian learns what it means to belong to God and fully to assume one’s place among men, sanctifying the world. Get to know Joseph and you will find Jesus. Talk to Joseph and you will find Mary, who always sheds peace about her in that attractive workshop in Nazareth” (Christ is Passing By, no. 56).
“Look at St. Joseph. How can we fail to love him, since we want to have interior life. Interior life is personal contact with Mary and with Jesus, with God and with the Mother of God. Who was closer to God and the Mother of God than Joseph, the Holy Patriarch? No one. That’s why we love him so much and we go to him” (Video Excerpt, St. Josemaria: Devotion to St. Joseph).