DAY OF RECOLLECTION | August 2022
A monthly Day of Recollection is a time set aside specifically for a Christian to seriously go deeper into his or her relationship with God. It is an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in prayer and conversation with God guided by meditation, spiritual reading, and an examination of conscience.
Following are a guide and resources from the St. Josemaria Institute to plan and make your own day of recollection for this month:
I. To begin, download the Guide for Making a Day of Recollection: (View/Download PDF)
II. Listen online or download the meditation; or, read the meditation transcript (View/Download PDF):
III. Take time for silent prayer and spiritual reading:
IV. Reflect on the examination of conscience questions for this month:
- The Lord said: “The truth will make you free” (Jn 8:32). Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life, who frees me from the slavery of sin. Do I talk about him to others? Do I read and meditate on the Gospel, so that I can pass on this wonderful news to others?
- Only truth can gratify the soul. Am I sincere and attentive with others as this is the way to form genuine friendships?
- Do I give time to projects that will benefit others? Do I try to get my friends and acquaintances involved? What do I do, within my possibilities and together with others, to have a Christian influence on the community, neighborhood, city and country? Do I rely on help from God?
- “Jesus answered her, ‘Woman, great is your faith. Be it done for you as you desire’” (Mt 15:28). Do I turn to Jesus with confidence, knowing that he always hears my prayer? Do I understand that prayer won’t eliminate difficulties and worries, but will give me the strength to bear them graciously?
- Do I ask God to give me the faith to do his will?
Act of Contrition: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because of your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
V. Conclude your time of prayer:
- Make two or three concrete resolutions that you can give Our Lord for the month. Remember that the resolutions and themes from this time of prayer are meant to guide and accompany you throughout the month.
- You may also want to download and use our Monthly Planner to write your resolutions, prayer intentions, daily plan of prayer, and special dates for the month. Then, once a week during the month, perhaps on Sunday, review your notes and monthly planner to refresh and remind yourself of the prayerful fruits and inspirations from your time with God.