DAY OF RECOLLECTION | January (Year B)
A monthly Day of Recollection is a time set aside specifically for a Christian to seriously go deeper into his or her relationship with God. It is an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in prayer and conversation with God guided by meditation, spiritual reading, and an examination of conscience.
Following are a guide and resources from the St. Josemaria Institute to plan and make your own day of recollection this month:
I. To begin, download the Guide for Making a Day of Recollection (View/Download PDF).
II. Listen online or download the meditation or, read the meditation transcript (View/Download PDF):
III. Take time for silent prayer and spiritual reading:
- Pray the Holy Rosary
- Read and reflect on Scripture: Matthew 2:1-12
- Recommended Reading: “Loyalty to the Church” (Read Online)
IV. Reflect on the examination of conscience questions for this month:
- “Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil” (Matt 5:37). Am I a person of my word? Do I speak the truth simply, without evasiveness? At the same time, do I speak with charity, without hurting anyone?
- Does my personal life, including my professional work, reflect the teachings of Christ and the Gospel? Do I have the courage to seek the truth and to communicate it in an attractive way? Do I do it with the gift of tongues, thinking about who it is that I am talking to
- Do I ask Holy Mary, Mother of the Church, to help make others love the Pope and the whole Church?
Act of Contrition: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because of your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
V. Conclude your time of prayer:
Make two or three concrete resolutions that you can give Our Lord for the month. Remember that the resolutions and themes from this time of prayer are meant to guide and accompany you throughout the month.
You may also want to download and use our Monthly Planner to write your resolutions, prayer intentions, daily plan of prayer, and special dates for the month. Then, once a week during the month, perhaps on Sunday, review your notes and monthly planner to refresh and remind yourself of the prayerful fruits and inspirations from your time with God.